Thursday, March 8, 2007

There are no asterisks in spring

But you kind of expect that level of ignorance from somebody who lives somewhere that there is no Major League Baseball.

You get an asterisk after the end of the season when there's something noteworthy about a new record like a longer season or a postitive test for steroids or something like that.

Speaking of record-breaking baseball performances, true trivia: Mark McGwire's dad used to be my dentist.

Be a glutton for punishment: Read the strip

3 comments:

Mazement said...

OK, I'm going to defend him just this once. It's falling from the sky like a snowflake, and that implies it's a transient asterisk (indicating a performance that deserves an asterisk, not a formal asterisk written into the record books).

So it's kind of funny, and he also resisted the temptation to tell the same joke over and over again for a week.

He does lose points for timing; baseball season doesn't start for another three weeks.

My verdict: Better than "Marmaduke".

(Today I guess he's doing a "Chrysler is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy" joke. The first one of those I heard was pretty funny, back that was back in the 1970's and it's gotten a little stale over the years.)

GeoX, one of the GeoX boys. said...

THIS site sure didn't last long.

Don said...

The L.A. Times dropped the strip and it seemed a bit pointless to go out of my way to subject myself to the Bruce's rantings.

But that said, I'm thinking that with an election year coming, I may go ahead and return to fact checking the duck, at least until I can see Bruce's head explode when there's a Democrat back in the White House.